Monday, January 26, 2009

My High Horse is Lonely


Every once in a while I'll have a month or year when I read A LOT and, consequently, feel very self-righteous and superior. Here's a typical conversation with me during one of these periods:

My roommate: Did you take out the garbage?
Me: No, did you read Madame Bovary? I didn't think so.

It just so happens that 2008 was one of those years, and I was feeling pretty amped on myself until The Guardian went and released the 1000 novels everyone must read: the definitive list. Now I feel like an illiterate fucktard who may or may not be missing a chromosome. Out of 1000 books I evidently must read, I have read exactly 49. 49! That's pitiful. And I went ahead and counted Lord of the Flies even though I'm pretty sure I only read the Spark Notes in 9th grade. Come to think of it, same goes for The Jungle. Dammit.




3 comments:

  1. Whilst I love me some Guardian, I am loathe to put much stock in this list. I'm alarmed that Will Self's Great Apes (awful awful) is ranked against A Prayer for Owen Meany is any list - let alone a "must read" one. This list is an Anglophile's wet dream though - this I know for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read but I do know how to work the internet where I found this...

    http://www.towleroad.com/2009/01/gay-contestant.html

    Gay and Trashy, thought this deserved a spot on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you won't be shocked to find out that I only read 4 off the list. Two of which were required reading in high school. How the hell does Bridget Jone's make the list??? I would have only been at 3 if it weren't for that one!

    ReplyDelete